Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sorry, no pics this week.

Dear Family and Friends,

Well, I am a trainer now. I am expected to be the boss, but I don't like being the boss haha. So, I just try to lead by example as best as I can. I am by no means perfect. I try though. Sometimes it is hard. I just try to lead by example. I know my companion is learning and I am learning. We are both learning more together. We try to teach each other English and Tagalog. She is patient with me and I am patient with her. That is the way it should be. President Q. told us that it is very important for us to be patient. I realize there are things we need to do and we do them, but I am not super nit-picky. As long as she is trying her best, I am happy. 

This last week we taught this old man named S. He lives in a little cinder block house. His wife died many years ago. When we visited he had just gotten back from the cemetery to visit his wife's grave. They have something called all saints day here. They don't really celebrate Halloween. It was kind of sad for me. But if they do it is on November 01. The little kids did have monster masks, but there is no trick-or-treating or anything like that here. On all saints day everyone goes to the graves of their loved ones and puts flowers on them. It is kind of like memorial day in America. Anyways, he'd just gotten back from that and he was looking like he just got back from a date. Even though he doesn't have much to eat for himself, he always buys us bread and pop. After our lessons he tells us he is full. Full of the word of God. He tries to share his beliefs with all his neighbors and always tells us that people have no respect for the word of God. He also would work with us too, if he wasn't so old and sick. He feels bad we walk everywhere haha. I love walking. I am glad that I do. It is one of the benefits of being a missionary here. No car! Walk and tricyle and bus everywhere! 

One of the saddest things for me to see is people that want to be baptized, but allow others to control what they do, or they are too young and have to have permission from their parents. Then their parents don't want them to, or aren't supportive. It is so much better if we have wonderful parents in our lives. Great role models. I am grateful for the great parents I have and their example. I am grateful for their love and support. I miss my family because I love them. I love the people here too. 

One of our investigators came to church this week with his children and his wife didn't. The funny thing is is that his wife is the member but he is the one that came to church. His wife is less active. His daughter is A, our first baptism here. His name is Brother E. His son is less active too. I can just see the happiness his family could have if he led them in the Gospel. I know he knows that it is true. We are working on him quitting cigarrettes. His kids are helping too haha. He really loves his family and his kids. He has lots of questions.  I know the gospel blesses our lives. I know it can bless the lives of those around us. I am so grateful for the opportunity to serve. I love learning more about God, the people here, and the language. Thank you all for your love and support!

Love, 

Sister Jensen.

No comments:

Post a Comment